Friday, January 4, 2008

beach combing


we spent our holiday either on the beach, on a boat, or in the ocean. our gift to each other this year was time spent together. santa brought one gift (our year of non-consumption) yet even the 9 year old said it was his best holiday ever.

we combed the beaches looking for shells at first, a sample of our finest above.


then we honed in on a hundred odd sharks teeth and other small treasures before finding the pièce de résistance, the HUGE seahorse below.

and then i found my true calling, bone collector. a lovely lady we met on the trip introduced us to the world of fossilized bone and i am hooked. i love to imagine what creature they belonged to. i spent the balance of the trip collecting these, the most exciting being the large pieces of vertebrae and joints.


of course i can not pass a nice piece of coral without picking it up.

yes, my nature collecting is compulsive. can't help it.

5 comments:

pve design said...

beach envy, love the simplicity and the beauty found not bought.

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like you've got a fantastic start on a Cabinet of Curiosities.

ALL THE BEST said...

What amazing finds! I love them all!

Pigtown*Design said...

I have a little box of the fossilized sharks' teeth my cousins and i found during summers at the beach. i'd love to find something to do with them.

quinn said...

I love the treasures you found on the beach and that you can appreciate the beauty of them. I am also a great fan of fossilized bone that I find while beach combing. Which beach were you vacationing at that you were able to find such great things?