Monday, February 19, 2007

here it is



what do you think? i just finished my plate for printing class on wednesday. we are learning polyester plate prints and i love it. i love how i have so much control over the design! it would take me forever to embroider all this but it only took me a morning to draw it. the instrucor handed out a huge piece of polyester paper last week, so, if i have time, i bet i could get 2 or 3 more ready to go! EXCITING!! i will give this one to my son, so i had the middle mermaid hold a flag with our initial. now i need to dream one up for my daughter.....

NEAT-O NEAT-O I REALLY LIKE THIS PRINTING!! ok.... i digress.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm sort of new to your blog but this printing technique looks super interesting! How does it work? I can't wait to see your other ideas!
-Cortney

andifree said...

Amazing, and you said you couldn't draw. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!

design dna said...

hi courtney, thanks for visiting! these drawings are to use on a polyester plate which is basically a sheet of paper kind of like shrinky-dink paper but it doesn't shrink. remember that? once you get your design together you can run it through a regular copy machine using the polyester paper. it copies the image onto the poly paper. then you put it in a regular kitchen oven for a couple minutes to set the toner. everywhere you see toner on the paper the ink will stick. i couldn't believe it would work, knowing nothing at all about printing, but it does! it's like magic! it is fun to put the images together. this boat was on a tea towel and the mermaids are from the famous court ballet of the queen. i just simplify it in ink. you can also draw directly on the poly paper with sharpie or ball point pen. the ink only sticks to the pen marks.

soo....there's the short but long version!! thanks again for the visit!

Anonymous said...

Amy-
Thanks! That sounds like a ton of fun! I've been experimenting with lino-cuts and block printing but this sounds like waaaay more fun! I'm going to have to give it a try... thanks for the info! :)Oh, and I love how the second one turned out too!!!
-Cortney